Translate

Saturday, December 19, 2015

BRYON'S CHRISTMAS THOUGHTS




Once again it’s that time of year we all love to celebrate.  Family, friends, and the natural beauty of the season makes wonderful memories each year for all of us.  This year I have been dwelling on a question that was asked me.  Years ago as a young Christian I was in the public school library telling another student, who was an agnostic, about the Lord, when I happened to say that God can do anything but fail.  At that moment the older student looked at me and said, “Oh, Yah, can God make a rock so big he can’t lift it or a chicken that runs so fast he can’t catch it?”  What a conundrum for a new Christian teenager’s mind!  My wife often teases me about taking too long to answer a question, because I ponder every aspect till I am satisfied with the answer.  Well it’s been more than twenty years now since that question was given to me.  I believe that wait is one for the record books.  When I would ask others about the answer they might give, I might get an answer like, “Well, God is infinite and these things are finite, so they don’t go together.”  However, I never liked these answers so I pondered on for an answer whenever it came to my mind.

One day not that long ago it finally occurred to me that the answer is right there in God’s Word.

John 1:1-3,14… “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was God.  The same was in the beginning with God.  All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made that was made …..And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory as of the only begotten of the father,) full of grace and truth.”

Matthew 1:23 “Behold a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.”

How marvelous a thought that God made rocks and chickens, then he made Himself so small He couldn’t walk, crawl, or even feed himself, much less catch chickens or lift rocks!!  The reason for Christmas answers the agnostic’s question; God chose to wrap HIMSELF in humble, human flesh to become the Crucified Lamb.  The same God that spoke the worlds into existence, measured the waters in the hollow of His hand, meted out heaven with a span, and weighed the mountains and hills, this God stepped down from His throne, laid aside His crown, and became a helpless baby.  This helpless baby then did for us what no other human could do.  God did just what they thought was impossible.  Are you facing an impossibility in your life?  Remember this Christmas, God truly can do ANYTHING but fail!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Bro. Beautiful thought and thanks for sharing it. We are missing you all. It is supposed to be in the 50s here on Christmas day. Hope you have a blessed Christmas. We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Barbara and Family. We love and miss you all as well. Looking forward to the memories to be made when we are home in 2017 for the holidays, Lord willing.

    ReplyDelete